Renewing a Lease on a Property as a Tenant, Landlord or Agent, Do You Need Advice About Your Fire Alarms from a Local Electrician?
If you need advice or a quote for our fire alarm services such as servicing or installation then contact Top Class Electrical Services today.
As a Masters Electricians Member, we pride ourselves on being reliable contractors who provide excellent services & information; saving you time and money.
Tenents, Landlords & Letting Agants Must Be Aware Of New Smoke Alarm Legislation
From 1 January 2017 existing landlord’s and tenant’s obligations regarding the installation and testing of smoke alarm came in to play.
From 1 January 2022
Smoke alarms in the dwelling must:
- be photoelectric (AS 3786-2014); and
- not also contain an ionisation sensor; and
- be less than 10 years old; and
- operate when tested; and
- be interconnected with every other smoke alarm in the dwelling so all activate together.
Smoke alarms must be installed on each storey:
- in each bedroom; and
- in hallways which connect bedrooms and the rest of the dwelling; or
- if there is no hallway, between the bedrooms and other parts of the storey; and
- if there are no bedrooms on a storey at least one smoke alarm must be installed in the most likely path of travel to exit the dwelling.
Smoke alarms must be either hardwired or powered by a non-removable 10-year battery.
Where practicable smoke alarms must be placed on the ceiling. Smoke alarms must not be placed:
- within 300mm of a corner of a ceiling and a wall; ii) within 300mm of a light fitting;
- within 400mm of an air-conditioning vent;
- within 400mm of the blades of a ceiling fan.
There are special requirements for stairways, sloping ceilings, and ceilings with exposed beams. Specific requirements will be explained in the Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008.
If impractical for the prescribed location requirements to be met (e.g. may be affected by steam from shower or fumes from cooking), the owner may put the alarm at another location that will provide a warning to occupants of the dwelling.